We hold meetings of the Council as often as may be necessary to transact its business but it will be at least twice a year, we also hold meetings of the Executive Committee as often as may be necessary to transact its business but it will be at least four times in calendar year.
The first meeting of the Higher Education Council was held on 01-12-2010 Dr. V.S Acharya the Hon’ble Minister for Higher Education, Planning and Statistics, Information Technology & Biotechnology who is the Ex-officio Chairman of the Council presided over the meeting. In the beginning the Executive Director welcomed the Chairman, Vice Chairman and Members of the Council, Officials and Media Persons who were presented the meeting.
The following business was transacted in the meeting;
- Status of Higher Education in Karnataka and perspective plan for future development of Higher Education.
- Uniform Regulations for Admission, Migration of Students etc, in different Universities.
- Orientation programme for newly appointed Principal/Heads of the Institutions.
- Common Academic Calendar for Universities having similar Academic programmes.
- A Common Statue for conducting Doctoral programme in Universities.
Eventually, it was resolved to constitute three committees, the first committee for preparing uniform calendar with Prof. S.A Bari Vice Chancellor of Kuvempu University as its Chairman; The second committee for preparing uniform regulations Prof. V.G Talwar Vice Chancellor of Mysore University as its Chairman and The third committee for Uniform PhD regulations with Prof. Shivashankar Murthy as its Chairman. The Council approved the proposal to prepare a document on Higher Education in the State. It also agreed with the proposal to hold orientation program for newly appointed principals.
The Council also agreed in principle to consider a proposal from Prof. R.L.M Patil member of Council to fund a project prepared by the Centre for Education and Social Studies (CESS) on 22-11-2010. The Vice Chancellors who are members of the Council raised subjects pertaining to their Universities with the permission of the Chairman. Finally, the Executive Director thanked the Chairman, Vice Chairman, Members of the Council, all other officials who were present at the meeting and also the Print and Electronic Media persons who were present at the meeting to cover the proceedings.
First Meeting of Executive Committee
The first meeting of the Executive committee of Higher Education Council was held on 27th December 2010 in the Council hall. The Executive Committee approved the proposal of Five Crore Budget for the Council for the financial year 2011-12 in which a provision has been made besides Office Salary, Expenditure for Conduct of Conferences, Training for faculty members and administrators, Inviting eminent scholars for, interaction with faculty members of the Universities, project works etc. Among other subjects the Committee approved the draft Rules and Regulations for the effective functioning of the Council and the office such as : Rules for preparation of Annual Budget and audited statement of expenditure of the Council; Powers and Functions of Executive Committee; TA DA and sitting fees admissible to non-official members; Powers and functions of the Executive Director; Procedure relating to meetings of Council etc.Another important decision of the Executive committee is to upgrade the Government film institute in Hesaraghatta to that of a first grade college and offer degree courses.
The draft proposal to create a new University as Bangalore South University out of the existing Bangalore University which was approved by the Executive Committee was submitted to Hon’ble Minister of Higher Education and Chairman of the Karnataka State Higher Education Council on 31st Dec 2010.
Due to unavoidable circumstances the second meeting of the Higher Education Council which was scheduled to be held on 17th Jan stands postponed. In the second meeting some of the agenda which were approved by the Executive Committee like the budget, draft rules for the council and committee etc. will be referred to the Council.
A proposal for holding a seminar on Nanotechnology is being placed before the Council to which eminent scholars in the subject will be incited to deliver lectures and the selected faculty from the Universities will be participating.
The second meeting of the Higher Education Council was held on 1st Feb 2011, under the chairmanship of Dr.V.S Acharya Hon’ble Minister for Higher Education and the Chairman of the Higher Education Council Govt. of Karnataka.
In the beginning of the meeting Hon’ble Minister launched the Website of the Karnataka State Higher Education Council (KSHEC) www.kshec.co.in and conveyed his good wishes to the members in their efforts to promoting the cause of Higher Education in the State.
Thereafter, the Council discussed other subjects and gave its approval to the following Rules and Regulations framed for functioning of Karnataka State Higher Education Council (KSHEC). They are as follows:
- Rules governing the manner of preparation of Annual Budget and Audited Statement of Expenditure of KSHEC.
- Karnataka State Higher Education Council Rules-2010 (powers, functions and duties of the Executive Committee)
- Rules governing the prescription of rate of TA & DA and sitting fees admissible to Non-official Members of KSHEC.
- Karnataka State Higher Education Council Rules-2010 (powers, functions and duties of the Executive Director)
- Regulations governing the terms and conditions of service of the staff of KSHEC.
- Governing Karnataka State Higher Education Council Regulation-2010 (procedure relating to meetings of the Council)
- Karnataka State Higher Education Council Regulation-2010 (relating to meetings of the Executive Committee)
The Council approved the Common Academic Calendar of events for the conventional Universities, which offer similar Degree and PG programs. The proposed Common Academic Calendar of events will be applicable to the following Universities:
1) Kuvempu University 2) Mysore University 3) Bangalore University 4) Karnataka University 5) Gulbarga University 6) Mangalore University 7) Tumkur University 8) Women’s University 9) Davanagere University 10) Rani Channamma University 11) Vijayanagara Sri Krishnadevaraya University
The Council also accorded approval for the draft report proposing the creation of a new University out of the Bangalore University under the title “A proposal to create a New University out of Bangalore University as Bangalore South University” The report has been submitted to the Dept. of Higher Education, Govt. of Karnataka on 31st Dec 2010.
The subject “Uniform PhD regulations for Universities of the State” was deferred as the members felt that some detailed discussions should be held before giving approval.
Soon after the meeting M/S Tata Consultancy Services explained the technologies available with them for Smart Degree - An RFID based Solution.
Subjects to be placed before the Council
One of the important subjects proposed for the meeting of the Karnataka State Higher Education Council is the draft report on Amendments to the Karnataka State Universities Act 2000 submitted by the Committee headed by Dr. N.R Shetty former Vice-Chancellor of Bangalore University. As it is a comprehensive report covering all conventional Universities, Womens University, Visvesvaraya Technological University, Kannada University, Karnataka State Open University etc., and runs into several pages, the document has been sent to the members in advance to enable them to go through it leisurely.
The meeting of the council will be held in March and the members will be informed of the date in due course.
The Third meeting of Karnataka State Higher Education Council
1) UNIFORM REGULATIONS GOVERNING ADMISSION TO POST-GRADUATE DEGREE / P.G. DIPLOMA PROGRAMMES
2) UNIFORM REGULATIONS FOR ADMISSION TO UNDERGRADUATE PROGRAMMES IN UNIVERSITIES IN KARNATAKA
Proceedings of third ordinary meeting of Karnataka State Higher Education Council held on 12-04-2011
Draft Common Regulations Governing the Degree of Doctor of Philosophy (Ph.D) of Karnataka State Universities
ONE DAY NATIONAL SEMINAR ON "REFORMS IN HIGHER EDUCATION AND PUBLIC PARTICIPATION
One Day Seminar on "Information Science and Technology"
Induction Programme for newly recruited teachers of aided degree colleges and Universities
2) MEDIA AND HUMAN RIGHTS THE GLOBAL SCENARIO
3) MATHEMATICAL MODELING
4) GLOBALIZATION AND SOCIETY POLICIES AND PERSPECTIVES
5) QUALITY MANAGEMENT PRACTICES FOR ORGANIZATIONAL EXCELLENCE
6) SOCIAL RELEVANCE OF NANO-MATERIALS AND APPLICATIONS AN INTERDISCIPLINARY APPROACH
7) PERSPECTIVES ON HEALTH BENEFITS OF THERAPEUTIC MOLECULES
8) RECENT TRENDS IN COMMUNICATION TECHNOLOGY